I promised a blog post on my successful finished object, so here it is: The Zuni Cardigan!
This beauty was technically finished last November, but the sleeve caps were giving me fits. I changed the pattern because of my crazy-short arms, and when I looked at the photos on the pattern, I though there were a couple of gathers at the top of the sleeve. I knit the sleeve caps with lots of stitches across the top so I could fold it into gathers, and it looked ridiculous.
So I did just one gather, and I liked that better. Looking more closely at the pattern, though, it didn’t call for gathers at all. But I was done, and mine has a gather! It’s cute, I think, although I really don’t need the extra bulk. But like I said, it’s done!
Mods I Made
- Since I changed the sleeve length, and I got lazy, so I only did one colorwork section on the sleeves. What do you think?
- Another modification I made was omitting the belt. I don’t look good in belted garments, so this is just an open front cardi. I can close it with a shawl pin, or add a snap later if I want to.
- I made the back and fronts longer by adding a few rows to the cream sections between the colorwork rows.
In an earlier blog post, I detailed the progress of this project, so check that out for more info.
I used Universal Yarns Deluxe Worsted in Gold Spice, Charcoal Heather, and Oatmeal Heather, as shown at right. This yarn was great to work with, and it’s super economical. Love that!
I loved these colors when I saw them in the original pattern, so I decided not to mess with a good thing. Jesie Ostermiller knows of what she speaks.
I’m really happy with this sweater, and I’ve worn it a lot. The length is perfect, and although I thought I’d want a closure in the front, I enjoy wearing it open. It’s a warm sweater, so wearing it open helps with that.
I hope you’ll give this one a try.